Planning and Administering Windows Server 2008 Servers
A server administrator is responsible for the operations and day-to-day management of an infrastructure of servers for an enterprise organization.
Windows server administrators manage the infrastructure, Web, and IT application servers. The Windows server administrators use scripts and batch files written by others or those that they occasionally write themselves to accomplish tasks on a regular basis. They conduct most server management tasks remotely by using Terminal Server or administration tools installed on their local workstation.
- A server administrator’s primary tasks include
- Managing the server operating system, file, and directory services
- Software distribution and updates
- Profiling and monitoring assigned servers
- Server administrators also support engineering projects. Server administrators are responsible for server builds and configuration. Their job role involves 60 percent operations, 20 percent engineering, and 20 percent support tasks.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan a Windows Server 2008 Deployment.
- Plan and implement server commissioning and decommissioning for Windows Server 2008.
- Plan the installation of server roles for Windows Server 2008.
- Create a configuration change plan for Windows Server 2008.
- Plan and implement Windows Server 2008 security.
- Manage application versioning in Windows Server 2008.
- Plan for a high-availability Windows Server 2008 deployment.
- Plan a server update maintenance schedule for Windows Server 2008.
- Maintain Distributed File System (DFS) in Windows Server 2008.
- Define server backup requirements and policies for Windows Server 2008 backup.
- Plan and implement a Windows Server 2008 restore.
- Plan Windows Server 2008 monitoring.
- Troubleshoot hardware issues.
- Troubleshoot software issues.
- Troubleshoot network issues.
Credit Toward Certification
Exam 70-646: Pro: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator: counts as credit toward the following certification(s):
Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator
This course is intended for Windows Server 2008 Technology Specialists, in Network Infrastructure and Active Directory, who are interested in learning professional level Server Administrator skills to plan, manage, and maintain Windows Server 2008 servers.
This course requires that students meet the following prerequisites
- A strong familiarity with Windows deployment technologies and implementation.
- A strong familiarity with Windows networking technologies and implementation.
- A strong familiarity with Active Directory technologies and implementation.